Sunday, October 20, 2013

I'm A Big Kid Now

Oh, hey. So this my first posting for "Thats What She Said". Why is my blog called this, you may ask? Well, for one. I'm a girl, hence the she. And this blog is essentially going to be filled with nonsense, most certainly bound to stimulate your deep thoughts on life. I'll say it, and your mind will be blown with "what she said". Because lets be real...I am a wise owl. Aristotle's better half. Jesus' bff.
This first post came from my recent deep thoughts on life, and all that I miss in it. The biggest thing being my family and my "home". As time goes by, I miss these things more and more and sometimes chuckle to myself at how hard I worked to establish myself and my independence, only to want to return to the place in which I lacked these things. Oh, adulthood. You hurt so bad but feel so good.


How to Become a Grownup

Adulthood. If there were ever a word to have such a loose interpretation, this would be it.  It is funny how this strange concept of being a grown up works. If I evaluate my current lifestyle, I’d have to say, yes…I’m an adult. Today, I took great joy in baking lasagna. I felt that my Sunday was complete by mopping the floors and cleaning the toilet. Before sitting down to write this, I made sure to take my daily vitamins and apply my anti-aging moisturizer. These raucous-filled Sunday activities would indeed suggest that; yes, I am an adult. I feel as if during your teens, all you think about is how badly you want to be considered and treated as an “adult”. You so badly want the respect and freedom that you just KNOW comes when you hit 18, and the law tells you that you now deserve this new, prestigious title.
 Freshman year of college rolls around, and hot damn; you milk this new freedom for all its worth. Your parents are hours away, which means that the only person to ridicule you for the shenanigans you inevitably get involved in is, yourself. Your roommate is doing the same thing, and they most certainly can’t judge you. Senior year of college rolls around, and you sit up a bit straighter as you think, “ Oh, how I’ve matured”. You’re about to finish out that degree you have so painstakingly worked for. Your days of being poor are over. You won’t have to fret about shelling out those dollars for a Redbull-vodka because hot damn, you’re about to have a money-breeding bachelors degree. As you sit in your final exam for your last college course, you cannot help but pat yourself on the proverbial back as you say, welcome to true adulthood.
Day one of your first “real” job rolls around and you are wide-eyed. Not only do you officially have a salary, but also you have a retirement plan, health insurance, and even an ID badge that says “staff”. Your naïve days are over, and you have entered a world of learned intellectuals rolling in the dough. The only thing missing is rolling in the dough. You slowly come to realize that you actually have less money than you did in college, and the thought of going out on Wednesdays for dollar Red bull-vodkas, throws you into a terror-filled spiral.
Day one of grad school arrives, and you think, “God. I am motivated”. I work and am going to school. I am a tough cookie, filled with knowledge, motivation, and inspiration. Who is a grown up? This kid. As you balance this hectic, nonsense life, you remind yourself of how independent you are, and how much you have grown on your own. You remember that indeed, you have a family back home that loves and supports you, but your life has grown in such a different direction, that you sometimes feel like an altogether outcast.
You finish grad school; take a breath, and think, “Wow. So apparently it is actually time to be a real grownup”. You ponder, what is my purpose? What am I doing? Is this real life? Holy shit, I am an actual grown up? No. Make it stop.
This is a fairly accurate description of the past ten years of my life. The past decade has been saturated with the strong desire to be a grown up, prove myself to myself, and to everyone around me. The world we live in primes young adults to be the best them that they can be, and to make their parents proud. I feel like it is pounded into your head, from an early age, to be ambitious, successful, independent, and motivated. Independence seems to be what defines true adulthood and that coveted position of “being a grown up”. What I have recently discovered is the sense of, “now what?” once you actually become a grown up.
I made it through college. I made it through grad school. I make money, pay bills, buy groceries, and do other boring grown up things. When I am sick, my mommy isn’t here to make me soup. When I don’t clean my room, nothing happens. When I don’t take the garbage out, no one judges me. So this thing called “being a grown up”, is really not all that exciting.
Ten years later, I find that my biggest grown up urge is to revisit where I was ten years ago. After going out into the world, and experiencing love and loss, success and failures, struggles and triumphs, and plain old life, I would love nothing more than to share my grown up life with all that I so badly wanted to leave ten years go.
The moral of the story is that I find life to be one big oxymoron wrapped up in paper and tied with a bow. My wants and desires have dramatically changed in this delicate decade, proving that all I’ve ever wanted was to be a better me. Now that I somewhat feel like I know who I am, I’d love nothing more than to be that “me” back home. Boomerang this “better me” back to Wind Lake, Wisconsin where I stop by my grandmas, just because I miss her hugs and want some tea. Where I lay on my mom’s couch, watching Pretty Woman, because its Sunday and Sundays are spent with Mom.
I think you truly become an adult when you realize that all you ever wanted and need was what you always had. You just had to go out in the world, navigate this crazy labyrinth on your own, and come full circle back to where it all began. There, you will find your true happiness.
Prove yourself, be yourself, and find yourself. And then return to the place where you thought you didn’t know yourself, and there you will find, what? Yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment